Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, October 15, 2012

Chicken Curry Cheese Ball - Recipe


With the holidays approaching, it's always nice to find new or unique recipes for those gatherings with friends and family. If you have a love for curry dishes, you'll probably like this cheese ball. My mother in law gave me this quick and easy recipe years ago, because she knew I've loved curry since I was 5 years old, when my family was living in the Philippines as missionaries. A little old lady in the church, we called "Auntie", paid for our family to eat out at the Bayot Hotel in Zamboanga City every Sunday. We ate Chicken, Curry and Rice with all the trimmings every time we'd go there. This was really special for us because our family of 7 rarely ever got to eat out.
 
Even after we left the Philippines (when I was 9) my mom continued to make this dish at home. I did the same while my kids were growing up and they really loved it too. I've always noticed that people either love curry or they hate it. Most people I know love it. 
 
After my son married his Romanian wife, Anca, she called me up one day asking if I'd come over and show her how to make Chicken, Curry and Rice, which has always been Brian's favorite dish. She wanted to surprise him. I figured Anca would not like this dish because when she came here from Romania, she was picky about some things and it took her a while to acquire a taste for American food. Of course it's not an American dish, but much to my surprise, she loved the curry dish and now their son and daughter love it too! 
 
I have posted my easy recipe for Chicken Curry and Rice here, and in the meantime I hope you enjoy the Chicken Curry Cheese Ball. By the way, I have made it both ways (with canned chicken and fresh cooked chicken) and of course I like it much better when I cook the chicken myself out but a rotisserie chicken that's already cooked, making it more convenient. Using canned chicken makes it a quicker recipe if you are short on time!
 
Chicken Curry Cheese Ball
 
Chicken Curry Cheese Ball
   
1 cup cooked chicken (finely chopped) or 1 large can cooked chicken or turkey (or two - 5 - 6 oz. cans) OR boil your own from fresh which is much better.

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 - 1 cup toasted almonds (chopped) I buy them and toast them myself in the oven OR you can use chopped peanuts

  • 1/3 cup Hellman's mayonnaise (not salad dressing)

  • 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder (or to taste) I like a lot!

  • 1 - 2 Tbs Chutney (preferably mango) - optional
  • I have always made this cheese ball without the chutney. This time I wanted to add it but couldn't find chutney anywhere, so I substituted apricot preserves. And it was great!

  • Flaked coconut 

  • Chopped green onions (optional)

  • Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Chill for several hours or overnight. Form into a ball (or log) and roll in coconut. Serve with crackers. 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment